Building the Practice of IBI Group as “Global Designer of Local Communities”
The basic objective of IBI Group is to build a Global Professional Practice in the planning, design and development of the physical components of urbanization throughout the world. Urbanization is one of the main driving forces in social and economic systems worldwide. While there are cultural differences, much of the physical aspects in the formation of cities; transportation and other infrastructure, buildings and public spaces for the accommodation of human activity are subject to the same professional and technical substance.
Accordingly, the expanding knowledge and experience of IBI Group is transferrable throughout these world markets. IBI Group’s core areas of activity in Urban Land, Building Facilities, Transportation Infrastructure, and Intelligent Systems are the primary elements of the physical development of such urban areas. IBI Group is building this broad based expertise that provides the intelligence and knowledge that informs the work of IBI Group to address urbanization in metropolitan areas throughout the world.
IBI Group sees this intelligence in various perspectives:
1) Intelligence regarding operations of facilities and infrastructure and the impact of change in technology on these operations. In major transportation and social infrastructure and in cities, the increasing scale of work of IBI Group provides the growing intelligence to enable IBI Group to establish centres of excellence that operate on a world scale throughout the whole of the firm. This intelligence can then be deployed through the local offices serving local communities;
2) Intelligence on human senses and interaction with infrastructure and the built urban environment; the expanding body of work that IBI Group has implemented enables IBI Group to assess, with the participation of users of infrastructure and facilities, the human reactions to these environments and to learn what functions better for the human senses;
3) Intelligence on the technical aspects of the product of the work implemented; construction details in infrastructure and in building details regarding constructability, maintenance, costs; and
4) Intelligence in the doing of the work; intelligent systems to access the body of knowledge; organization for the planning design and implementation.
As IBI Group grows, the knowledge base of our intelligence is both extended and intensified, heightening the quality of the work that we can produce. The IBI Group model is to operate as one integrated global firm to access this intelligence and apply it by the delivery of that expertise through local communities. Accordingly, IBI Group is growing in its diversity of professional skills and in establishing physical presence in local offices throughout the world.
The business benefits of this strategy are multiple:
1) IBI Group has expanding and intensifying access to professional business opportunities with decreasing competition due to the IBI Group growing intelligence and expertise;
2) IBI Group can move this intelligence to clients with needs in urban areas that are growing and be present where markets are robust as economies fluctuate; and
3) IBI Group can access human talent in various areas of the world with the IBI global platform.
Accordingly, IBI Group will continue in this long term strategy through both organic and strategic growth. The organic growth is the long-term core of growth. IBI Group has achieved an average of 12% organic growth per year since 1995. Organic growth in the first quarter of 2012 was 5.1%, demonstrating the continuing recovery from the recession that impacted operations in Q4 2008 and thereafter. Once IBI Group has established the base global platform, the continuing emphasis will be primarily on organic growth.
IBI Group also will grow via strategic growth from acquisitions, to advance IBI Group in reaching the base global platform and to strengthen areas of expertise. IBI Group pursued this strategy through the recession that started in late 2008. During this time, IBI Group continued to build a platform of world leading expertise in the design of health care facilities, in education facilities and in intelligent systems, while addressing the reduction in housing developments in the USA and other markets. IBI Group’s long-term strategy will be consistently pursued but with adjustments necessary from time to time, as was the case during this recent recession with respect to housing.
CEO and Chairman Director, IBI Group