This major highway expansion was the final of three widening projects on the QEW for the provision of high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes from Trafalgar Road to Guelph Line.
ClientMinistry of Transportation Ontario
Improving the flow of traffic in Halton Region
In order to meet the targeted HOV lane opening date of the two adjacent projects, this third and final phase demanded a highly compressed design schedule. The widening symmetrically expanded the QEW to eight lanes along the existing centerline with designation of the median-side in each direction for HOV use, along with improvements to its shoulder to accommodate enforcement activities.
Additional components of the project included:
- Widening of the Canadian National Railway (CNR) overpass bridge deck west of Guelph Line
- Improvements and modifications to the interchange ramps to meet current geometric standards
- Realignment of service roads
- Continuation of the installation of high mast pole illumination
- Traffic signal and municipal illumination upgrades at ramp terminals
- Drainage improvements along the QEW including new stormwater detention ponds at interchanges to treat highway drainage
- Relocation and upgrades to advanced traffic management systems
- Traffic management and construction staging
- Design and Construction coordination with overlapping projects
IBI Group was also deeply involved in the public outreach components of this project, including the Public Information Centre and the creation of a Design & Construction Report.