The Christian Science Plaza Restoration & Repair
IBI Group designed the revitalization of The First Church of Christ, Scientist’s historic 10-acre plaza and reflecting pool.
ClientThe First Church of Christ, Scientist
Restoring one of Boston's most iconic landscapes
IBI Group led a multi-disciplinary consultant team for the restoration of The Christian Science Plaza, one of Boston’s most iconic landscapes designed in the 1970s by architects I.M. Pei and Araldo Cosutta. The Boston Landmarks Commission has given the Plaza protected Landmark status.
This renovation focused on the enhancement of the open space by:
- Preserving, repairing, and restoring the character-defining features of this landmark landscape
- Reconstructing the reflecting pool with an improved basin paving that will enhance reflectivity and four-season interest, while also repairing the waterproofing for the garage below
- Making the Plaza entrances more welcoming
- Improving wayfinding and Plaza identity
- Introducing amenities to extend year-round use
- Expanding seating opportunities
- Increasing softscape and pervious surfaces
- Initiating extensive water conservation and management measures
- Improving pedestrian circulation and accessibility through grading, paving, and lighting renovations
- Upgrading all utility systems
The completed project illustrates a sophisticated eye for design and a strong technical approach to plaza improvement.
Preservation Achievement Award
By Boston Preservation Alliance
By Boston Society of Landscape Architects