The Christian Science Plaza Restoration & Repair
IBI Group is working on the revitalization of the historic 10-acre Plaza and reflecting pool.
ClientThe First Church of Christ, Scientist
IBI Group is leading a multi-disciplinary consultant team for the revitalization of The Christian Science Plaza, one of Boston’s most iconic landscapes designed in the 1970s by Architects I.M. Pei and Araldo Cosutta. The Plaza was bestowed protected Landmark status by the Boston Landmarks Commission.
This renovation project is focused on the enhancement of the open space and called for a sophisticated eye for design as well as a strong technical approach for the improvements, which includes:
- Preserving, repairing, and restoring the character-defining features of this landmark landscape
- Reconstructing the reflecting pool with an improved basin paving that will enhance reflectivity and four-season interest, while also repairing the waterproofing for the garage below
- Making the Plaza entrances more welcoming
- Improving wayfinding and Plaza identity
- Introducing amenities to extend year-round use
- Expanding seating opportunities
- Increasing softscape and pervious surfaces
- Initiating extensive water conservation and management measures
- Improving pedestrian circulation and accessibility through grading, paving, and lighting renovations
- Upgrading all utility systems