Since 2008, IBI Group has provided technical advisory, asset data management and information-led services to support Highways England’s various directorates.
Tracking vehicle activity across 7,000km of motorways
Highways England is a government owned company responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England’s 7,000km of motorways and major trunk roads. Highways England also provides real-time traffic condition and planned road improvement information for millions of road users — around 30 per cent of all UK traffic and 70 per cent of all UK heavy-goods traffic.
A key innovation for Highways England is the deployment of ‘smart motorway’ schemes on vital parts of the strategic road network. This includes:
- dynamic lane management;
- variable speed limits;
- comprehensive CCTV coverage;
- new uses of existing and new signs and signals; and
- revised safety, operating and maintenance procedures.
IBI Group works closely with other leading contracted providers and suppliers to ensure Highways England receives superior service and data-driven intelligence. Some examples of our project work include:
- Defining asset data requirements to achieve both corporate and asset management objectives.
- Delivering innovative remote sensing interactive solutions facilitating web-based access to and analysis of over 115 terabytes of imagery and ground and aerial LiDAR.
- Collection, processing and delivery of 15,000 carriageway kilometres of vehicle-based imagery and LiDAR serving our asset management solution.
- Leveraging applied research and development, and integrating our unique knowledge of managing physical assets with sensor technologies and software solutions to deliver successful practical trials and deployments.
- Data advisory for scoping, recording, validation/verification and assurance.
Our range of asset-focused data management services provides quality, reliable and actionable information supporting our client’s regulatory compliance and safety obligations, as well as enhancing operational efficiencies and improving operational expenditure forecasting.