SR-4 Bypass Widening
To help improve traffic flow and reduce congestion on State Route 4, IBI Group provided engineering and design services for the widening of the State Route 4 Bypass in Ohio. The project involved converting almost four miles of the two-lane state route into a four-lane divided facility.
ClientButler County Transportation Improvement District
LocationButler County, OH
Designing a more efficient highway for Ohio commuters
IBI Group provided engineering and design services for the State Route 4 Bypass widening in Ohio. Almost four miles of a two-lane state route was converted into a four-lane divided facility from south of Symmes Road to Princeton Road. The overall project was divided into five separate construction phases involving four jurisdictions.
Super Street intersections are featured at three locations along the corridor – a new and innovative intersection treatment in Ohio. The Super Street intersection design improves operation on the main road by reducing stops for through traffic on the major road and delays for left turns onto the minor road. Integration of Super Street intersections allow for efficient movement of traffic, reducing delays by up to 90 per cent in comparison to traditional intersections.
Project accomplishments included:
- the widening and replacement of two existing bridge structures including a Northfolk Southern Railway Crossing;
- development of special signage and traffic signal structures to accommodate the large intersections;
- development of individual signal timing for each intersection and coordination with loon turn arounds;
- development of special signage and traffic signal structures to accommodate the larger intersections;
- coordination and maintenance of traffic scheme; and
- significant utility relocation activities.
The Phase 3 project schedule was condensed by more than six months to obtain available grant funding which allowed the fourth phase of the project to be programmed and constructed. Butler County Transportation Improvement District Director, Mr. Ron Porter, had this to say about Phase 3: “Thanks for all of the extra effort on this phase. It has surely paid off in many ways and put us in a special class with ODOT and at the top of their GETS THE JOB DONE LIST!”